Westies in the Woods, Stokes State Forest NJ | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Event Stories
vetterdog
vetterdog May 28 '18
What a wonderful weekend! In our usual spot in a big field surrounded by shade trees and a gently rolling creek, we got in a whole lot of relaxing.I rolled in Friday afternoon and was met by Uncle Sam who drove all the way up from West Virginia for our campout. Then we watched as the other campers arrived and set up camp. The weather was sunny and downright hot in the afternoon but it cooled down nicely in the evenings and it was very pleasant sleeping weather. All gathered around the fire to catch up with friends old and new. Saturday was warm and sunny but clouds started appearing in the sky by afternoon. We decided to stay ahead of the weather and piled the kids into my bus and took a short ride to Buttermilk Falls, a small and very scenic waterfall nearby, followed by a visit to the local Dairy Queen for some ice cream, because really, what kind of summer campout would it be without ice cream? Potluck dinner was, as usual, delightful and no one left hungry or disappointed. Sunday morning brought us rain in the morning and drizzle and mist throughout the day but by evening we got the fire going and the rain stopped. Some folks decided to head home but a large core of people stayed and we had another nice night at the campfire. A special thanks to all for making our newest guests feel at home and to all the kids who made the new kids feel welcome! And of course thanks to all who attended, it wouldn't be a campout without you!
-Dave

Pics to be posted if I can get some!

The Forum post is edited by vetterdog May 28 '18
vwfunbusnj
vwfunbusnj May 29 '18
Dave thanks again for organizing, and so appreciate everyone's hospitality.  I've got some photos here: Westies in the Woods 2018.  If you'd like to download any photos, just right click on the individual photo once you're in the gallery.  Also, I did take photos of the kids playing and so if anyone wants a photo taken down, just let me know and I will do straight away. All the best.
vetterdog
vetterdog May 29 '18
Wow those are some great photos John! So glad you made it out. Hope to see you and the family again, there are plenty more this year!
Bumblebee
Bumblebee May 29 '18
I really enjoyed the pictures!  Looked like a great turnout and a nice area. 
campinator
campinator May 30 '18
Nice pictures!  Thank you!
vetterdog
vetterdog May 30 '18

Quote from Bumblebee I really enjoyed the pictures!  Looked like a great turnout and a nice area. 
Above is supposed to be Bumblebee's quote. All I see is a white recatngle.
This is a beautiful state park but unfortunately our last governor(R) cut funding to the parks so staff is cut and they limit the number of vehicles and people on the group sites. 22 vehicles! We used to cram about 100 on these fields! Hopefully our new Gov (D) will restore funding and we can grow this back to the size it once was. It is a very friendly and intimate campout though, so maybe less is more in some respects. 
The Forum post is edited by vetterdog May 30 '18