E15 Has and our Fuel Injection Systems | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Technical Questions
Dkinerson
Dkinerson Oct 10 '18
Hi Volks,

I see Trump has announced the return of E15 gas.  Hopefully it doesn't replace the E10 we currently use as it is a different beast from what I have read.  Much more corrosion problems.  

Anybody have any knowledge about the longevity of the fuel pump in "L" jet systems running E15?  How about possible substitutes that might better tolerate alcohol?  And finally, how about the alcohol tolerance of the "L" jet and "D"Jet fuel pressure regulators?  Your thoughts please.

Thanks!

Dave, in Albany, NY

p

Snoopy
Snoopy Oct 24 '18
It isn't looking good for aging fuel systems  :(

maduncaledave
maduncaledave Oct 24 '18

From what i understand, it is not replacing E10.  It will be available separately from the pee-water they sell us as "gasoline".  I wouldn't run it unless it was the last thing on earth to get me someplace where i can get better fuel.

Of course there is always non-adulterated fuels, look at
https://www.pure-gas.org/

On the surface, yes you are paying more for the fuel.  I have tried non-ethanol fuels in my more modern vehicles, and got a consistent 10% better fuel mileage.  So it really comes down to are you willing to pay about 10% more per gallon to achieve an increase of 10% better mileage?

YMMV

Mad Uncle Dave

The Forum post is edited by maduncaledave Oct 24 '18
FRED
FRED Jan 18 '19
Stick to regular.  Its the premium grade that has the most ethanol to boost octane for high compression motors like in some jettas