Missing title | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Around The Campfire
zenLoki
zenLoki Feb 7 '22
Does anyone here have any experience with getting a title for a vehicle without one?  Vehicle is a '74 Beetle from Alabama and no title was exchanged with the last sale.  Any advice is appreciated.
FRED
FRED Feb 8 '22
All states have published procedures. They all take a little paperwork, a little time, and fees.  Sometimes there are taxes.  Some here might know a few shortcuts but I would start at your local county govt office or google.

https://unclaimed.mvtrip.alabama.gov/ 

The Forum post is edited by FRED Feb 8 '22
Snoopy
Snoopy Feb 11 '22
I surprisingly had very little issues with getting a title in SC.  Start at your DMV and ask.  I paid out the yin yang years ago for a title company to do the work when I could have just done it through my own DMW for a 10th of the price.

zenLoki
zenLoki Feb 12 '22
When I posted this, I did not see any info at the Va DMV site on the topic but dropped by DMV today.  Basically i write and an affidavit about why there's no title, present a bill of sale and pay the fees.   EZ.
The Forum post is edited by zenLoki Feb 12 '22
Bumblebee
Bumblebee Feb 12 '22
Glad it worked out for you!
collie
collie Feb 14 '22
Glad it's that easy here in VA! I almost bought a no-title '60 bug about a year ago and was a little reluctant...
Snoopy
Snoopy Feb 15 '22
Glad it worked out for you and the follow up post to let us know!

vetterdog
vetterdog May 24 '22
If you want to do this in New Jersey, your best option is to move. (Also a good option for lots of reasons!)