Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ Signup ]
[ Forgot password? ]

Members: 2713
Newest member: camper40zoom
Poll

Do you do your own work? (pick all that apply)

Oil change

Valve adjustments

Points n plugs

Timing n tuning

Body work n paint

All the above

No, my hands are clean

Posted by TN Jed
Votes: 3529
Previous polls

Members: 0

Click To Show - Guests: 23

Last Seen

SusieBear Fri 13:45
KMT Fri 13:24
Ron Fri 13:20
bear Fri 12:38
charliec Fri 12:27

Newest Members

camper40zoom Wed 13:13
sixer Fri 07:06
westylove Wed 14:06
jbnuss Tue 19:16
dale31racer Sat 19:29
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON

Unanswered Posts
The following forum posts remain unanswered
77 exhaust mani[...] 28 Oct : 07:15PM
Need dust or sp[...] 28 Oct : 09:41AM
redone 71 westy 24 Oct : 01:47PM
81 country home[...] 16 Oct : 01:01PM
I WANT to go ca[...] 09 Oct : 11:37PM

October 2014
Entries this month: 8

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1***
56789*11
1213141516*18
2627282930*
Upcoming Events
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

bullet B1zzle
09 Oct : 11:06PM
meow
bullet wyliejones
06 Oct : 07:37AM
Put roger in for sale forum here as well
bullet wyliejones
06 Oct : 07:11AM
Selling roger on our Facebook site.
bullet shaun
18 Sep : 10:41PM
whats up
bullet calvinandhobbes
07 Sep : 11:10AM
I was wondering what that was all about. What a bunch of verbal diarrhea. The ramblings of a truly disturbed mind.
bullet Collie
06 Sep : 04:09PM
1st spammer to make it by me since June 1st. I must be slipping!
bullet Collie
06 Sep : 04:08PM
I took the ting-ting and made him a thing-thing of the past.
bullet hippieman88
06 Sep : 10:20AM
Agreed. Tingting has got some-ting wrong with him or he's a scam ting I tingk lol
bullet bear
05 Sep : 10:19PM
And tingting4 , looks like he had a test run them loaded it up.
bullet bear
05 Sep : 10:11PM
tingting5 Needs to be removed, I think he is a scam or something.

Member's Birthdays:
One birthday today, congratulations!
Birthday Cake
kkjellquist

Next birthdays
BoydSmith 11 1
deadheadgil 11 2
eurovanman 11 4

Recipes
There are 7 recipes in 7 categories
The latest are

Zuchinni Supreme
Rooster on 24 Jul : 08:28AM

Sausage Chili
1977_L63H_P27 on 10 Jul : 11:07AM

Shrimp Boil
willchop1 on 09 Jul : 07:55PM

Hobo Stew
tester on 09 Jul : 07:41PM

Cowboy Stew
TN Jed on 09 Jul : 07:32PM
Link to us
Link to us
adjust your brakes and check your fluid
Club Supporter
#

Forums
Full Moon Bus Club :: Forums :: Event Talk :: Event Stories and Trip Reports

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Tohickon Campout March 18-20
Moderators: TN Jed, Lickity Split, docric, sweetbus, Tom., Collie
Author Post
TheBlueMax
Sun Mar 20 2011, 04:20PM

Registered Member #189

Despite an extra hour of traffic getting off of Long Island on Friday afternoon, everything else about the weekend was awesome. Good weather, good food, good friends.

Bobby Mac secured camping at Dogwood Haven Campground due to flooded river bank which bamboozled the original plan.

I leave the full trip report to Oatmeal, but highlights that did not involve Oatmeal involved Me, Malissa, Ed and Lorraine going to Rice's Flea Market (along with Bertie, Emil and Patrick their dog), Ed dropping of me and Malissa off at Tohickon Valley Park for a 4 mile hike, and then picking us up later (thanks to cell phone and GPS as our pick up location changed from the original planned one) and then going to the Sand Castle Winery. Lots of road closures and detours kept bamboozling us and keeping us laughing.

[link][img]

[ Edited Sun Mar 20 2011, 04:23PM ]
TheBlueMax
Sun Mar 20 2011, 04:24PM

Registered Member #189

another pic

TheBlueMax
Sun Mar 20 2011, 06:01PM

Registered Member #189

technical difficulties

[ Edited Sun Mar 20 2011, 06:03PM ]
TheBlueMax
Sun Mar 20 2011, 06:03PM

Registered Member #189

Here is a pick of me and Malissa after our hike waitin for Ed to come get us (pretending to thumb a ride- wasn't nobody around gonna pick us up..cept some tweens on a golf cart crusin the neighborhood) ....and then our taxi finally arrives....

[ Edited Sun Mar 20 2011, 06:06PM ]
DELETE
Sun Mar 20 2011, 06:52PM
Registered Member #168

What can I say about this weekend other than PERFECT? Bob Mac did some fancy footwork getting us hooked up with our final camping destination and everyone was notified of the change in plans. He drove all over looking for an open campground and this one was actually closed for the season, but the owners agreed to host us and were very happy to have us. Kenny and I arrived to find Bob grateful to have someone to share his 'welcome' fire with. After some deliberation on where to set up camp, we answered some yelling up the hill from a fellow buskateer (Jackie and Chris have a permanent campsite there and were camping over the weekend....she came down when Bob arrived to say hi). Jackie set the woods on fire and Bob, Kenny and I ran up to kick the dead leaves away. For a few minutes, we didn't think we'd get it all out, but eventually we won and the fire went out. After that excitement, we got camp set up and the others started to arrive. Our camp on the side of the mountain was shielded from the wind, so it was a nice place to be when the temperature cooled off. Sat am, we awoke to a flurry of activity as folks set off for different adventures. Joe and Bob went to the river to boat; Kenny, Brad and Steve stayed at camp to welcome the new arrivals and Ed, Lorraine, Andrea and I headed to Rice's followed by Andrea and I getting dropped off at Tohickon Valley Park to hike the trails and Lorraine and Ed continueing on to an antique market. Andrea and I realized about 3 hrs into it that we were no longer following 'THE' trail and somehow was on "A" tail. So we abandoned to the first intersection we found on the GPS and called to be picked up. Ed and Lorraine came to our rescue and we continued back to camp. Only to be diverted by the Sand Castle Winery, which drew us into it's lovely hilltop vineyards. We paid the $5 to sample and learn how to pair these lovely wines with food items. It was worth the $5 for a nice buzz and a great time with friends. We all left with a few bottles for the road and headed back to camp. We got back and it was time to start the pot luck cooking. We had a lovely spread including waffles, irish stew, corned beef and cabbage, sausage, antipasta salad, soup and many more delicious items. After dinner, well, you can all guess the rest. We awoke to a cool but sunny Sunday am. I left for the river and that is where my camp story ends. In case you were wondering, I had a great day rafting on the Tohickon. My crew turned out to be a great group of guys...Pete living in WV, but from NY was our guide. He was very educational and taught us river reading techniques and how to get out of sticky situations. Dutch is from the Netherlands, and the other guy (I don't remember how to say his name) was from Russia. I was surrounded by gorgous foreign accents all day! hahaha Kenny arrived at the take out just as we pulled the raft out from run #1. He agreed (readily I might add!) that I could continue with the crew for a second run. He and Sue (Dutch's wife) shuttled us back to the put in and they headed to the cabins at Tohickon Valley Park to witness our second ride. We had a great time and got wet (didn't take a swim, thank god....but the theme park claim...you'll get wet and that's no joke! certainly applies! My gear kept me toasty and the only real cold spots were fingertips and toes. The only thing better to this day would have been getting out to a moonie fire! Maybe in November!
DELETE
Sun Mar 20 2011, 07:48PM
Registered Member #168

Andrea....just looked on a mapquest map.....we were so close when we turned wrong on the road!!!! If we would have turned left the road would have led us right into the park! Oh well, it was a fun adventure even though we didn't end up where we wanted to!

http://hiddentrenton.com/?p=190

[ Edited Sun Mar 20 2011, 08:42PM ]
Vetterdog
Sun Mar 20 2011, 07:54PM

Registered Member #221

Very nice weekend for camping- Friday night was nice and warm, cooled off a bit to make perfect sleeping weather. Saturday was gorgeous and cool. After being delayed on my engine build I used my back-up bus belonging to my brother-in-law. On Saturday morning I decided to head home to pick up my son Riley, and spent a few hours finishing my motor. I live only about a half an hour away. All done, I turned the key and....nothing. I figured the battery was dead after sitting for the past few months, so I left it and we headed back to camp just in time to heat up the chili for the potluck dinner. This potluck did not disappoint. Thank you to everyone for the awesome feed. (I was starving after skipping lunch to wrench on my bus) The only complaints were that we didn't have enough room for everthing and general fullness. Oatmeal shelled out for a load of firewood to cover us for a chilly Saturday night, and the owner Mark tendered two full scoops of pre-cut wood from his front end loader. Nice warm blaze all night long, and all day until we all departed. Got down into the 20s overnight, and Riley and I felt it since we were in a strange bus and didn't have the required layers of blankets. Not brutally cold, but definitely chilly. Ran down to Golden Nugget on Sunday and met my wife and daughter there and picked up a few goodies, including a low cast iron skillet perfect for blackening a ribeye or swordfish steak. can't wait to try it out! Got home, unpacked etc., and put my bus battery on charge. When it was done, I turned the key and...nothing. Got under and cleaned all the ring terminals on the starter and got it to turn over, but haven't gotten it to start or even fire. Now I will start to diagnose and go through to see what I did wrong. My first hunch is that I got the dizzy drive shaft in off kilter so nothing's firing. I have spark and I can smell gas, (just slightly). Will check it tomorrow, since today is about done. I will post progress/lack thereof on the tech thread concerning this engine build. Nice start to the camping season and I'm pretty sure Dogwood Haven will be our "plan B" for Tohickon from here on in. Apologies to Mike and Cathy and anyone else I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to. Next trip I will spend more time on doing nothin' though.

[ Edited Mon Mar 21 2011, 11:41AM ]

DFV

mzczvwrv
Mon Mar 21 2011, 11:44AM
Registered Member #205

Thank's to Bob for finding last minuet camping accommodations .. A full moon VW Folk's .. Good food .. and laughs ... made it out to be a pretty cool campout.. Sorry we missed you Dave .. We will see you along the VW Road...
mzczvwrv
Mon Mar 21 2011, 12:39PM
Registered Member #205

oops.. that is .. minute ... Last minute ...
DELETE
Mon Mar 21 2011, 07:39PM
Registered Member #168

Vetterdog
Mon Mar 21 2011, 09:29PM

Registered Member #221

That's a REALLY flattering pic of me eating chili. Thanks. I'll pay you to delete it.

DFV

DELETE
Tue Mar 22 2011, 11:31AM
Registered Member #168

Ah, come on, it's not THAT bad! I think you were bracing for a burnt mouth. I have so many pics it's hard to chose just a few, but I tried 3 times the night before to upload and no go. I think the files are too large to use straight from the camera and it's just a pain to resize everything.
oatmeal
Sun Mar 27 2011, 09:37PM

Registered Member #278

Where to start? This was the most fact-filled club run I think Ive been on in quite some time. And here in the brightly lit land of oatmeal, we are working hard to get through the dark to bring you the bare essentials of all the hearsay, comings and goings, what-nots, what-have-yous, thrills and spills, and the triumphs and tragedies of busdom.
From the very beginning, the event itself was up in the air. The flood plain on the Delaware River was underwater; no busses would be parking there. Luckily for the club, one of the early arrivals took it upon himself become the events coordinator and locate a here-to-fore never before heard of family fun-filled campground for us to invade/descend upon/camp at for the whole weekend. Upon hearing of the new venue, the question was raised as to whether or not we would be unceremoniously thrown out of the campground after the first night. This it was felt, was dependent on how accurately the events coordinator had described us when booking the campsite. Luckily for us, the owner of the dogwood haven campground in upper black eddy, Pa., was himself a former bus owner. More importantly, there was already a buskateer who had a permanent site located high above the group campsite we had in the campground. This dude was so together that he had a nicely restored Scotty teardrop tow-behind camper on the site and a nicely restored splittie to use as a daily driver to get to it. Friday nights festivities included an impromptu firefall at this guys campsite. The first firefall, I ever saw was as a fourteen year-old at Yosemite in 74. That spectacular involved a big bonfire being shoved over an 800 foot tall cliff by a caterpillar d-9 bulldozer. This spectacular involved a tiki torch rolling down a hill trailing fire behind it accompanied by a panicked woman screaming at the top of her lungs.
Bluebird and I were in the process of just trying to find the campground while this was going on, we never heard a thing. We finally found the campground entrance after making a series of ten consecutive right-hand turns in a row. Its been a long time since Ive gone down and up the same unpaved fire road in both directions for a total of three passes. Are we there yet? was not what Bluebird said to me when she handed me the gps. The real surprised occurred later when I was informed that new gpss have six different voices available to users, who would have thunk it? Bluebirds mom gave me a new gps for Christmas. It too probably has six voices when one will do. Friday night was an all-night meet-and-greet extravaganza; luckily for us, we all knew one another. It was good to be back at home with our fellow buskateers.
Saturday morning, everyone awoke refreshed and raring-to-go. Once again all of the planned activities occurred exactly as planned; hikes were hiked, shops were shopped, busses were rebuilt, and mechanics stayed in husband parking, right where they were supposed to be. In a move that could only be described as a stroke of brilliance, it was decided that we needed two fire rings instead of just one. This instantly doubled the need for firewood, but we managed to solve this problem as you will later see. As the day progressed, more buskateers continued to arrive and we managed to get more firewood delivered by evening. In a chance meeting with the campground owner, I inquired as the availability of firewood in the area. The campground owner, who after getting over the initial shock of the request; I believe his actual statement was, you mean you burned all of the firewood I delivered yesterday? allowed as how hed be by with some firewood later. Later on the dude showed up with two, two front end loader buckets full of firewood. It took ten minutes or more per load to move the newly arrived firewood to the firewood stack, and this was during the run up to the pot-luck supper. As usual, the pot-luck supper was a thing of great beauty and joy for all to behold; there was ham and cabbage, four-alarm chili, Irish stew, cornbread replete with honey-pecan butter, breakfast waffles with every conceivable topping you could think of, and that list does not even do it justice.
It was sometime during all of this, I became aware of the fact that the statistics and data mean everything. This intrepid reporter was witness to a LiMBO council meeting. When it was finally my turn to speak, I ventured that it should be written into the clubs by-laws that if you arent bleeding when you leave, then you are welcome to come back. I suppose anythings possible as long as you have enough firewood.
Once again the club guitarist favored us with yet another set of fine songs to sing along with. The FMBC contingent was especially pleased to be camping on the night of the brightest full moon that will occur for the next twenty-six years. Saturday nights moon was so bright there was no need for a flashlight. When we werent busy admiring the beauty of the moonlight, the fire tenders were busy working down the enormous pile of firewood the campground delivered to us just a few short hours before. Im known for burning tons of firewood, this was more than I could use in a night.
Sunday morning arrived to reveal a beautiful day, as usual, no one wanted to leave. In fact, the last buskateer to arrive at the campout pulled in at 10 a.m. All too soon, it was once again time to leave. Bluebird let me bring her bus home. Over the winter, our 02 EV MVs resonator rusted off of the bus. Turns out vw took a page from Saab and put the resonator so far back on the exhaust system that it never gets warm enough to dry all of the moisture out of the system in normal driving. And just as with the Saab, I removed the resonator and installed a straight pipe in its place. The EV sounds much different and now has power to spare. Hills? No problem . I put took the EV out on the bypass on the way home and it effortlessly opened to 75-80 mph with plenty more throttle left to go. And seeing as how I was only trying the blow the stink out of the truck and it was a beautiful day, I terrorized every piece of non-vw I came across out on the motorway. Being a buskateer is a beautiful thing, being a 201hp buskateer with plenty of throttle to spare is divine.

See you on the road - oatmeal

[ Edited Tue Mar 29 2011, 07:41PM ]

'02 ev mv

past busses:
'73, '85, '93, and '93

"all it takes is a few cuts on the Humor to make the rest seem like the ravings of a dangerous lunatic."
- H.S.T. - June '71
TheBlueMax
Mon Mar 28 2011, 06:17PM

Registered Member #189

oh Oatmeal....you're recaps are so delightful...and help me remember what super fun we had...and with the cold weather this past weekend, boy I really am glad we had warmer weather the weekend before.

It came together so well....and was loads of laughs.

Malissa from the Sunday morn. photos, looks like you had a blast on the raft.

Can't wait to see everyone again at Granny's....we decided we are a-comin!!
mookman62
Mon Mar 28 2011, 08:24PM

Registered Member #121

Every time I read Oatmeal's trip reports I have to stop and take a nap half way through. I love the insane recaps but I haven't done that much reading since well,....Oatmeal's last trip report.

Original Member #1672

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan
Former vehicles:
87 Vanagon
80 Westy
93 Eurovan
96 Jetta
oatmeal
Tue Mar 29 2011, 12:28PM

Registered Member #278

mook, you are the type of interested reader that i write for.

'02 ev mv

past busses:
'73, '85, '93, and '93

"all it takes is a few cuts on the Humor to make the rest seem like the ravings of a dangerous lunatic."
- H.S.T. - June '71
DELETE
Tue Mar 29 2011, 06:10PM
Registered Member #168

mookman62 wrote ...

Every time I read Oatmeal's trip reports I have to stop and take a nap half way through. I love the insane recaps but I haven't done that much reading since well,....Oatmeal's last trip report.

Now THAT there is funny!

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF