Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ Signup ]
[ Forgot password? ]

Members: 2698
Newest member: moonandtide
Poll

Do you do your own work? (pick all that apply)

Oil change

Valve adjustments

Points n plugs

Timing n tuning

Body work n paint

All the above

No, my hands are clean

Posted by TN Jed
Votes: 3486
Previous polls

Members: 0

Click To Show - Guests: 11

Last Seen

SusieBear Tue 13:53
NPWesty Tue 13:35
shaggydoc Tue 12:37
bear Tue 11:17
73bay Tue 11:00

Newest Members

moonandtide Mon 17:57
victorsbus Mon 13:12
andyp Sun 09:53
orionmon Tue 11:58
electricinfoman Mon 07:11
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON

Unanswered Posts
The following forum posts remain unanswered
Length of Hyd P[...] 30 Sep : 11:17AM
Hydrulic pushro[...] 28 Sep : 12:51PM
Air cooled gath[...] 21 Sep : 03:04PM
Vanagon Carat /[...] 17 Sep : 06:34PM
oops 15 Sep : 09:06PM

September 2014
Entries this month: 5

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1234*6
7891011**
141516*18*20
Upcoming Events
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

bullet moonandtide
29 Sep : 08:24PM
I have a 1983 VW Vanagon Westfalia that needs a new engine, and hopefully someone who can install it for me. The first valve does not have full compression. At 70lbs. Others at around 120 lbs. I also have a 1972 VW Project Bus for sale, or trade. So if someone is interested in either one then send me an email at velocity9productions©gmail.com. My phone number is 228-243-9594.

The displayed photo is the engine I now have installed. I call it a 1983 VW Air-Cooled 2,000 cc, 70 hp Pancake engine with dual carburetors. Thanks.
bullet shaun
18 Sep : 10:41PM
whats up
bullet calvinandhobbes
07 Sep : 11:10AM
I was wondering what that was all about. What a bunch of verbal diarrhea. The ramblings of a truly disturbed mind.
bullet Collie
06 Sep : 04:09PM
1st spammer to make it by me since June 1st. I must be slipping!
bullet Collie
06 Sep : 04:08PM
I took the ting-ting and made him a thing-thing of the past.
bullet hippieman88
06 Sep : 10:20AM
Agreed. Tingting has got some-ting wrong with him or he's a scam ting I tingk lol
bullet bear
05 Sep : 10:19PM
And tingting4 , looks like he had a test run them loaded it up.
bullet bear
05 Sep : 10:11PM
tingting5 Needs to be removed, I think he is a scam or something.

bullet Collie
14 Aug : 10:24AM
That is Snoopy's gig....PM him
bullet B1zzle
14 Aug : 01:05AM
FMBC stickers? yay nay?

Member's Birthdays:
All today's birthdays, congratulations!
Birthday Cake
Hindy
Crash

Next birthdays
Dave 10 1
Dave & Diane 10 1
Melchizedek 10 4

Recipes
There are 7 recipes in 7 categories
The latest are

Zuchinni Supreme
Rooster on 24 Jul : 08:28AM

Sausage Chili
1977_L63H_P27 on 10 Jul : 11:07AM

Shrimp Boil
willchop1 on 09 Jul : 07:55PM

Hobo Stew
tester on 09 Jul : 07:41PM

Cowboy Stew
TN Jed on 09 Jul : 07:32PM
Link to us
Link to us
Fuel filters were not meant to last forever. Change yours today!
Club Supporter
http://www.hippymotorsusa.com/

Forums
Full Moon Bus Club :: Forums :: Tech Talk :: Tech Questions

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Brakes? Do I really need them?
Moderators: TN Jed, Lickity Split, docric, sweetbus, Tom., Collie
Author Post
TN Jed
Mon Apr 25 2011, 08:24PM
Slave to the bus

Registered Member #5

I have a 1975 westy and I am getting a louder radio...

It all started with squeaky brakes. I pulled the wheels, cleaned with air and brake cleaner. One seemed slightly warped so I had them turned.

Squeak goes away but now I get a slight screech rubbing sound. It goes away when I turn the wheel or apply the brakes... The calipers are still warrantied so I replace them. Still had a noise, kinda hard to describe it though but kinda sounds like the pad clip is rubbing on something. I go ahead and replace the rubber lines as well, bleed again till I get solid fluid and still got a noise going on and brakes work but dont feel quit right. Like I should have more pedal.

If I start the motor with the brakes applied, they do go down a little when the vacuum hits the booster.

I replaced the master cylinder less than 2 years ago, rotors are less than 2 years old but were turned last week. It doesnt seem to pull to any side, I am not loosing fluid that I can see...

Calgon take me away :?

Anyone have any ideas?

Jerry Garcia said...
Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil..

I mean, whatever kills you kills you, and your death is authentic no matter how you die.

And as far as I'm concerned, it's like I say, drugs are not the problem. Other stuff is the problem.
I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.

1962 Splitty Walk Through ~ Jelly Roll (project)
1970 Beetle ~ (un-named)
1971 Super Beetle ~ (un-named) daughters project
1972 Transporter ~ Riff Raff
1975 Beetle ~ Jerry
1975 Westy ~ (un-named)
1975 Westy Deluxe ~ Bertha (Daily)
Website
Fred
Mon Apr 25 2011, 08:38PM

Registered Member #97

Wow, if you can make the noise come and go by turning the wheel Id fathom a guess that your wheel bearings might need some grease ?!?

Had too many vans to count
The best Bus tech site : www.ratwell.com

TN Jed
Mon Apr 25 2011, 08:44PM
Slave to the bus

Registered Member #5

I repacked bearings which are less than 18 months old, last week when I did the rotors.

Also, the bearings had been repacked at least 3 times total in their 18 month life, the grease always looked good and no scuff marks on the rollers. And last week when packing and inspection, they looked fine. But that doesnt mean a lot since Im not the best when it comes to noticing the obvious lol

[ Edited Mon Apr 25 2011, 08:53PM ]

Jerry Garcia said...

I mean, whatever kills you kills you, and your death is authentic no matter how you die.

And as far as I'm concerned, it's like I say, drugs are not the problem. Other stuff is the problem.
I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.

1970 Beetle ~ (un-named)
1975 Beetle ~ Jerry
1975 Westy ~ (un-named)
Website
Fred
Mon Apr 25 2011, 08:49PM

Registered Member #97

Well the other thing is the anti vibration thing that goes under the retaining pins. My brakes have a shim that go under the pads too

TN Jed
Mon Apr 25 2011, 08:56PM
Slave to the bus

Registered Member #5

I dont have shims behind the pads, didnt come with any. It kinda sounds like the anti vibration clip but I dont see anywhere on the rotor that looks like its been rubbing. I did wonder if maybe the rust in rotor edge was too coarse and rough to show as compared to the smooth, thiner metal of the clips.

Jerry Garcia said...

1970 Beetle ~ (un-named)
1975 Beetle ~ Jerry
1975 Westy ~ (un-named)
Website
Meinvw
Tue Apr 26 2011, 08:27AM

Registered Member #48

Get some of the shims for behind the pads and use either the anti squeal on them or i just use some permatex. The anti vibration clip does not rub on anything just keeps the pads from vibrating and touching the rotor. You may can get by without the plates behind the pads and just put a dab of blue silicon on the back of the pads where the caliper piston comes in contact with them.

The memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Kevin
Tue Apr 26 2011, 08:45AM

Registered Member #53

Those retaining clips I managed to put in upside down before. They made funny noises until I put them back the right way.

Norfolk, VA
66 Beetle Charlotte
86 Westy Princess Leia
66 Standard Sophie
TN Jed
Tue Apr 26 2011, 08:57AM
Slave to the bus

Registered Member #5

Im 99.9% sure the clips are in correctly but will double check it.

My pads didnt come with the shims so dont have any but gonna check a few local dub-heads and see if they have any spares.

Its definitely something rubbing because you hear it with each wheel revolution.

Jerry Garcia said...

1970 Beetle ~ (un-named)
1975 Beetle ~ Jerry
1975 Westy ~ (un-named)
Website
Meinvw
Tue Apr 26 2011, 09:53AM

Registered Member #48

I should have some of the backing plates, give me a ring this evening and remind me and I willl take a look.

The memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.
1977_L63H_P27
Tue Apr 26 2011, 11:02AM

Registered Member #90

The RTV on back of the pads should do the trick. One other thing, you are bleeding according to Bentley, right? Right front, left front, right rear, left rear? I know it's odd, but the way the master cylinder is valved makes this sequence neccesary.

1977 Westfalia P27
TN Jed
Tue Apr 26 2011, 12:31PM
Slave to the bus

Registered Member #5

I took the retaining clips off and grinded them down on the tabs that could be rubbing. I will report back when I get home from the test drive/food run

Thanks all for the input.

Jerry Garcia said...

1970 Beetle ~ (un-named)
1975 Beetle ~ Jerry
1975 Westy ~ (un-named)
Website
TN Jed
Tue Apr 26 2011, 07:16PM
Slave to the bus

Registered Member #5

Brakes were bleed correctly
I ground the tabs a little and...

THE SAGA CONTINUES

Seems the noise is getting worse. Brakes work fine, bus stops on a dime and doesnt pull when doing so. Im not loosing fluid BUT... Now every once in a while, when you apply the brakes for the first time after stopping. You sometimes get a rubbing clunk or pop, kinda like the pads are shifting as they grab the rotter. Its just one pop or clunk until you completely stop and then only get it the first time brakes are applied.

GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Jerry Garcia said...

1970 Beetle ~ (un-named)
1975 Beetle ~ Jerry
1975 Westy ~ (un-named)
Website
Vetterdog
Wed Apr 27 2011, 12:09AM

Registered Member #221

If all else fails, jack the front up and turn the wheel and get it to make the noise. Then pull the rim off and try it. Check to see if there's a line running around the inside of your rim- like where the clip that holds the brake pads in might rub if it was still a little proud of the brake pad. I know you ground 'em but I had that happen once, drove me nuts for a week until I noticed that line! Had to bend the clip with needle-nose-pliers to get it to clear. Good luck.

"It's not that I'm any smarter than anyone else, I just stay with a problem longer" -Albert Einstein

DFV

Kevin
Wed Apr 27 2011, 07:32AM

Registered Member #53

The clunk makes me think of two things:

#1. A sticking caliper. But you said no pulling to one side, so that may not be the issue.

#2. Loose shock bolt.

Still doesn't resolve the grinding sound

[ Edited Wed Apr 27 2011, 07:32AM ]

Norfolk, VA
66 Beetle Charlotte
86 Westy Princess Leia
66 Standard Sophie
TN Jed
Wed Apr 27 2011, 08:51AM
Slave to the bus

Registered Member #5

What really sucks is there are no dub-heads around local to help. If I were at a campout it would be fixed in time for the pre-dinner drink bell lol

I drowned my brake woes in a bottle of vodka so am getting a later than expected start.

I had not thought to check the inner rim area, Ill be kicking myself hard if its in there :?

Im thinking loose sticking caliper, it doesnt make a noise pulling out or stopping while in reverse. Ill be checking the shocks too but would think a lot more pops/clunks if that were the case.

Will report in soon...

Jerry Garcia said...

1970 Beetle ~ (un-named)
1975 Beetle ~ Jerry
1975 Westy ~ (un-named)
Website
TN Jed
Wed Apr 27 2011, 10:33AM
Slave to the bus

Registered Member #5

All bolts are tight, shocks, calipers, etc.
No wear or rubbing patterns in the backside of the wheels and with the brake dust back there I think it would be a noticeable thing.

Only thing I did notice... The inner side of each caliper has a slight space between the pad and the rotor. Kinda like the piston isnt pushing out far enough.

New calipers so as soon as I get a "helper" Im gonna bleed the crap out of the brakes and see where that gets me :?
Im fighting the weather though, 20 mph winds and the storm is on its way, good help is hard to find around my house lol

Jerry Garcia said...

1970 Beetle ~ (un-named)
1975 Beetle ~ Jerry
1975 Westy ~ (un-named)
Website
TN Jed
Wed Apr 27 2011, 04:46PM
Slave to the bus

Registered Member #5

Bleed at least one tank full through the lines, solid fluid at all wheels with no spitting or sputtering.

Problem seems to be for whatever reason, the pistons on the backside of the rotors will not fully extend or they are too short or something strange like shrinkage lol

These are both brand new (rebuilt) calipers, less than 2 weeks old. Rubber lines less than 1 week old.

ANY ideas? I am totaly lost...

Only thing I know to try is just remove calipers and compress the pistons back into the calipers and start over :?

Jerry Garcia said...

1970 Beetle ~ (un-named)
1975 Beetle ~ Jerry
1975 Westy ~ (un-named)
Website
Fred
Wed Apr 27 2011, 05:23PM

Registered Member #97

TN Jed wrote ...

All bolts are tight, shocks, calipers, etc.
No wear or rubbing patterns in the backside of the wheels and with the brake dust back there I think it would be a noticeable thing.

Only thing I did notice... The inner side of each caliper has a slight space between the pad and the rotor. Kinda like the piston isnt pushing out far enough.

New calipers so as soon as I get a "helper" Im gonna bleed the crap out of the brakes and see where that gets me :?
Im fighting the weather though, 20 mph winds and the storm is on its way, good help is hard to find around my house lol

You may be on to something with that space between pad and rotor.

TN Jed
Wed May 04 2011, 08:12AM
Slave to the bus

Registered Member #5

Dun Dun Dun Dun Daaaa!
It wasnt a issue with the calipers
After waiting for new ones, reinstalling, bleeding for an hour... The calipers still are not pushing out all the way.

Yesterday I picked up a new MC to replace the one that is less than 2 years old.... Today we will see if that fixes it

Jerry Garcia said...

1970 Beetle ~ (un-named)
1975 Beetle ~ Jerry
1975 Westy ~ (un-named)
Website

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF