Nostalgia | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Around The Campfire
collie
collie Mar 24 '18
24 years ago, today, I bought my first aircooled VW. It was a 1977 sunroof bus that I found in the local paper near Lynchburg, VA. I drove it home and drove it for many years. It ended up being cut up for parts a few years ago (rust) but I will never forget "Manana".

My current VW (auto CE Westfalia) turns 40 on Wednesday (3.28.2018)...this thing has been a PITA since the day I bought it. But, I am determined to get it running perfect.

KMT
KMT Mar 27 '18
I think I drove Manana in an obstacle course at Buses of The Corn. Wow that was a long time ago!
Snoopy
Snoopy Mar 27 '18
Funny I bought my bus 24 years ago on March 25 (my birthday).  You have me by one day.

We did have one as a kid, does that count?

collie
collie Mar 28 '18
Jamie, that was a FUN campout....I miss those! I think a bunch of people tore up the grass that day in my bus :)

Snoop....no. LOL.

Snoopy
Snoopy Mar 28 '18
Ah, but I do still have that bus.  So I have you beat in mot consecutive days :p
collie
collie Mar 29 '18
Got me :)
TeamSpatula
TeamSpatula Mar 29 '18
geez, y'all make me feel old...I bought my first bus in September 1990...the craziest thing for me is that at the time it was only 12 years old, which today would be a 2006 model! In further craziness, my vanagon is now older than my first splitty was at that time!

rebapuck
rebapuck May 21 '18
I bought my first in 1980.  The '67 deluxe was thirteen and I really debated buying a car that old.  Drove it close to 20 years before selling to Chris Cybulski.  Now my driveway holds a '66 and a '67 and their ages don't mean much.  I'm still older than either so what can I say?
Bumblebee
Bumblebee Jun 3 '18
This September will be 10 years I have owned my bus.  Wow how time flies when you're having fun. 
1977_L63H_P27
1977_L63H_P27 Jul 13 '18
I learned to drive in my dad’s ‘68 squareback when I was 14 years old. That was in 1980 and I was “bitten by the bug”. I found a ‘73 Super for $500 in 1994 and we found our first bus, a ‘73 Kombi, the next year. Me and my wife have owned ten or so Beetles, three Buses, two Jettas and one Passat for good measure :). And now the search is on for a first gen Rabbit for my middle child. Wish us luck!