Granny Grose's Buses 13, Millmont Pa | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Event Stories
vetterdog
vetterdog Jun 4 '18
Another solid weekend of camping with friends and enjoying the outdoors, food, drink, music and VWs. This is one of those campgrounds where we attend for the people, not the facilities. Amenities are few, bathrooms/showers haven't been updated since the Carter administration and the "playground" is pretty much what you'd expect from a South American dictatorship. But the location is good, the weather somehow held out until the wee hours of Sunday morning  and the moonies were out in force. My daughter and I showed up around 3PM after stops at Hot Dog Johnny's and then Friendly's off of Rt 80. We made camp with our friends, Joe and Gillian and Bryan and Katy, had a snack and got down to the business of doing very little. Some nice folks who are seasonal renters had made a big ol' pot of beef stew and were sharing with all of us so we made that our supper- delicious! A nice campfire with guitars and singing and relaxation began to set in. Saturday there was a potluck breakfast but we sat that one out, being neither prepared for it nor willing to get up early on a camping Saturday. Loafed around all day, visiting friends and even managed to play a few games of horseshoes. Saturday night brought more live music and cold drinks by the fire. We knew rain was coming so most of us had the majority of our stuff packed up and Sunday morning most of our work was done so we headed homewards fairly early, feeling refreshed and wishing the weekend was a few days longer.

On a more somber note, we learned that the namesake of this campout, Patricia Ann "Granny" Grose had passed away this year. This campout was originally held at a campground owned by The Grose family, and even though it has moved to a new location, it is named for the woman who welcomed our freak show with open arms. She will be missed by all of us, even those of us who only knew her briefly, for she was a genuine, sweet and caring lady who had a big smile and a warm heart. 

We also learned of the passing of one of our VW family from the area, Tommy Two-buses, who was a regular at this event. (Sorry I don't know his actual last name!) Another sweetheart of a person, and the ice cream run during this event has been named for him. His wit, wisdom and warmth will be missed.

The Forum post is edited by vetterdog Jun 4 '18
Bumblebee
Bumblebee Jun 19 '18
Always great to hear about a camp out.  So sorry to hear of the loss of Granny Grose and Tommy.  I have seen videos of this camp out in years past and it always looked like a great time. 
1977_L63H_P27
1977_L63H_P27 Jul 21 '18
Nice to hear that a good time was had. We have wanted to make it to GGB for many years now, but it’s such a long drive from Bristol. We have had the pleasure of camping with Justin, and family, and we miss them. Maybe some day, if that Subie conversion ever happens, we’ll make that 400 mile drive