Replace door or door skin? 79 Westy | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Technical Questions
vetterdog
vetterdog Jan 8 '20
My front driver's door is getting pretty ratty, rust along the bottom with a crappy repair I did a few years back, as well as a split along the the top edge right below the window opening, also with one of my amateur repair jobs. Passenger door is slightly better, but not far behind. Since its for a 79, replacement doors are pretty rare in any kind of serviceable condition, so I was wondering if anyone could advise on having new skin(s) put on; like how tough of a job is it, is it worth it, do late late bay doors exists somewhere? I have a pretty limited skill set in terms of body work, and am by no means a welder. I have a small 110v flux core welder that I've never quite been able to get good at using. I can mix and sand bondo. I can paint it and do all the mechanical stuff. 

Thanks for all and any suggestions, guidance etc.

-Dave

Snoopy
Snoopy Jan 9 '20
Is a 79 a one year only door?

vetterdog
vetterdog Jan 10 '20
Hey Snoop! Happy New Year!

I think it"s like a three year door. Early bay up to 76 (I think) have the hinges in a slightly different spot. So I think 77-79 are what I need but not 100% certain. Info is tough to find!

Snoopy
Snoopy Jan 13 '20
My 73 has one door with a pop up lock and the other has it by the pull handle.  No idea what years they actually go to.  I think Bus Depot sells a kit to make the interchange for the different hinges

Happy New Year.

vetterdog
vetterdog Mar 24 '20
Turns out that the doors do change from 77-79 and a kit is available to make the earlier ones work on the late bays. However, I bought a door skin and brought the whole door up to him and he is going to replace the rotten sections with the needed bits from the skin. I wish I knew that was what would happen because I could've bought a scratch and dent door skin and save a couple of bucks! Oh well, it's only money.

And now I'm making new interior door panels to match my Tiki interior!