Electronic ignition | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Technical Questions
rjtimmons
rjtimmons Feb 28 '20
We have a 1975 VW bus with a suitcase engine 1.8l fuel injected.  I would like to change it over to electronic ignition, but have been told it would not work. Do I have to stick to Points and Conds. or is there something out there that will work.  Engine # ED 001329
ewdb92
ewdb92 Mar 6 '20
I've used them in the past but only on 1600 engines, so your question made me curious.  Seems Bus Depot sells a Pertonix system that fits all buses and Jbugs sells a compufire that does the same. I'd say call your favorite vendor and confirm.  If you go this route, keep your points and condenser in your travel parts bin in case the electronic system fails (they don't fail slowly and will leave you stranded).
rjtimmons
rjtimmons Mar 6 '20
Jbugs is the ones that told me it would not work on the 18L L-Jetronic engine
Snoopy
Snoopy Mar 10 '20
I've used a compufire distributor with FI
collie
collie Mar 11 '20
I don't see why a Pertronix would not work on a 1.8L FI motor with a 050 dizzy...Busdpeot sells them for all Bays up to 1979. I used it on almost all my Bays over the years with no major problems.
vetterdog
vetterdog Mar 22 '20
Ive been running the Pertronix unit (distributor with the EI inside $149) for years and I love it. It's on my 1.8 with L Jet FI.