front door seals | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Technical Questions
vetterdog
vetterdog Apr 16 '20
I recently spent a bunch of $ fixing up my driver's door and just spent a few hours installing the door seal I bought from BD. It is way too thick and I could only get the door to close by brute force after trimming off some of that brand new rubber. (I suspect the crack I had running down my door which I just had fixed was due to the prior seals being the same way- always had to SLAM the door)

Are there seals that fit properly anywhere, and how do I know which ones they are, and who sells them? I will be complaining to BD about this.

Thanks, Dave

vetterdog
vetterdog Apr 16 '20
Just ordered from Airheads. They say they make their own because of the fitment issue, and I've heard good things about their stuff. Have used them before but it's been a while. We shall see!
vetterdog
vetterdog Apr 18 '20
BD answered my email to tell me it is basically my fault for buying the cheaper seal. Now I get it that the $90 seal is better than the $19 one. But would they sell two distributors, one that works great and one that wont fit into the hole in the engine block? Because the seal I bought, advertised as "OEM Volkswagen" when installed made it impossible to even close the door. Only after I hacked some material away could I force the door to latch, and that took quite a bit of force- to the point that I am worried about damage to the door. 

Sorry to rant, just wanted to warn everyone about these seals so they wont make the same mistake.

collie
collie Apr 20 '20
I bought the same ones from BD and I had to trim them too. I don't understand how the R&D on those seals resulted in such poor fitment. I dunno. 
Snoopy
Snoopy Apr 23 '20
West Coast Metric usually has good stuff
vetterdog
vetterdog Jul 10 '20
Long delayed update- I got a seal from Airheads and it fits like a dream right out of the box. They have theirs made because of the above issues with other seals.