Parking lights, tail, instruments, and license plate light will not turn off. | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Technical Questions
Bus
Bus Oct 7 '20
I have a weird problem with '79 Transporter... Parking lights, tail, instruments, and license plate lights will not turn off, the key is OFF and out of the ignition.

Here are some things I have tried:

pulled all wires from light switch

pulled all wires from emergency flasher

pulled plug off ignition switch

pulled all wires off coil

This happened sometime after I replaced the foam seal around engine, but I don't know if related to my issue.

Yes they do go off when I disconnect the neg. battery terminal... Anyone had this problem? H E L P !

collie
collie Oct 8 '20
If it still has FI then you most likely have a ground issue. There are a few grounds in the engine compartment, double check them all, clean them to shiny. 

Check your fuse box for corrosion or water damage. Couple screws and it pops out to see the back side.

Take the emergency flasher apart (carefully) and check for water damage. You should be able to get one of these at a FLAPS.

Bus
Bus Oct 8 '20
Thanks, water on fuse box is possible, I will drop the fuse box and check the flasher relay next. When I turn on flashers, right rear blinker flashes alternately from blinker to tail light, all others normal. This might be a clue but i am yet to understand it.
collie
collie Oct 8 '20
Any issues with the windshield seal leaking?
Bus
Bus Oct 8 '20
Yes, a little around fuse box area. I have a new windshield and seal to put in.
The Forum post is edited by Bus Oct 8 '20
collie
collie Oct 8 '20
;) Do that first, then tackle the remnants of the water damage....

Bus
Bus Oct 9 '20
FOUND IT! Shorted wire going to rear dome light... but it did not cause the fuse to blow, wrong amp fuse, should be 8a I believe.
collie
collie Oct 9 '20
Good job!
Snoopy
Snoopy Oct 12 '20
Congrats!  Rear dome light isn't where I would have been checking.  Glad you found it.